Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bookish Updates

I've been buying quite a few books lately, so I thought that telling you about what it is I'm reading at the moment would be a good idea. Books I buy are generally all in English, something that I do wish will change this year. My 1st language is actually Maltese, and I'd really like to find good books in this language.

Photo from here

Anyway, on with the books. First and foremost is possibly the most important book of the year.

Art and Visual Perception: A Psychology of the Creative Eye
by Rudolf Arnheim

This book is amazing. The author goes through various elements of perception; shape, form, line, balance and analyses the psychological part of vision and how the eye sees. It's not only words, he gives examples, and some of the points you will come across are really something.

Design as Art
by Bruno Munari

Bruno Munari was an Italian Artist/Designer. In this book he covers a lot of different things, including the 'Useless Machines' he used to make, symbols, the use of language, the form of objects we use and the design with its relation to art. Reading this book is a challenge to how we are commonly taught to see and think about things.

Photo from here


The Fashion Photography Course
by Eliot Siegel

The Language of Things: Understanding a World of Desirable Objects
by Deyan Sudjic

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky

"So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be." 

This seems like a really good book. It does have quite some positive reviews on Amazon as a matter of fact. I just bought it, hope it gets here soon. Haha.

The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy
by Douglas Adams

No, haven't read it yet. Seems aaah-mazing though:

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun. Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still thing digital watches are a pretty neat idea."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...