Thursday, February 16, 2012

Visual Awareness

On my Fashion blog, Voilà, I mention that I had a lecture today which I really enjoyed. Here, I will post bits and pieces which we were shown. It was an excellent lecture on Visual arts and perception.

One of the things I really liked was the part of the presentation related to perception. For example, this, below, is Beethoven's 5th Symphony:




However, this too, is Beethoven's 5th Symphony:


Even this is:

Work by William Anastasi called 'Beethoven's Fifth Symphony'
Image from here.

Perception. Visual arts and artistic skills depends the context of a work. You cannot understand a music sheet if you're not trained in it, so you cannot really percept what that means. But by listening to a piece you understand and fully perceive it. This is food for thought. You might think it's pointless, like maybe art is to some people, or philosophy is to others. But being more rich in thought, isn't that a purpose unto itself? It's something that someone said in class, that art doesn't have a point. Really, SOK is there for this precise reason and if we're not learning about these things from it, I really don't know why it's there in the first place. 

Anyway, I have two videos that I think are remarkable.



Awesome, right?
And now a good song with a great music video.




Disclaimer: Ideas for this post were taken from today's lecture.

Tina :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...